Thursday, March 5, 2009

Been so long...

I haven't blogged in so long. Sorry about that. Time flies when you're a mommy! Let's see if I can catch up here...

Let start off with the overnight at the NICU. That was an experience and a half! Chris and his parents brought me to the NICU, stayed the day and then left me there for the night. Around 9 pm the set up the family room by pulling out the couch and putting Aidan in a crib and brought him in there. We were basically on our own. Aidan was hooked to a monitor and it went off constantly. It was nerve wracking. After the 1st brady I told his nurse and come to find out the monitor wasn't set on the right setting for where the leads where on his body so it wasn't picking up correctly. It was after midnight when it was adjusted. The monitor continued to go off and I continued to lay on a rock hard sofa bed and stare at the TV. Aidan ended up having 3 bradies throughout the night, usually around feedings and I got a total of 20 minutes of sleep.

I thought for sure the doctors would change their mind and say he couldn't come home. Instead they said that it wasn't reflective of his pattern and thought they were false alarms and they said it was up to me but didn't even think he needed to come home on a monitor. Having only 20 minutes sleep and being so scared that he wasn't going to breathe when we got home I wanted the monitor. Aidan was ready for discharge by 9 am on the 19th. But I wanted a monitor....

It took all day to work with our insurance and find a monitor that was ready and an available rep to bring it to the NICU and show us how to hook it up and use it. Insurance didn't want to pay, monitors weren't available... it was one thing after another. A case worker spent all day tracking one down. It was later in the afternoon and the case worker finally got an answer. Insurance would not cover but one was available and would cost $350 a month. However, the hospital used their funds and donated 1 months rental to us and paid for the monitor. I cried, the case worker cried, the nurse practitioner cried... and a nurse had to walk away so she wouldn't cry. The generosity we have received in Baltimore has been more than I can even fathom! Our opinions on humanity have definitely changed for the better.

When all was said and done and monitor training was complete, we packed Aidan into his carseat and headed home. It was around 9pm.

The first couple days home were busy. Aidan had his first pediatric appointment where he had his 2 months shots. He did so good! The night before he left the NICU (2/18) he weighed 4 lbs 12 oz. At his appointment (2/20) he weighed 5 lbs. 2 oz.

Aidan also had an eye appointment that week. He has ROP (Retinopathy of prematurity) It is a potentially blinding eye disorder that primarily affects premature infants weighing about 2¾ pounds or less that are born before 31 weeks of gestation. The smaller a baby is at birth, the more likely that baby is to develop ROP. This disorder—which usually develops in both eyes—is one of the most common causes of visual loss in childhood and can lead to lifelong vision impairment and blindness. Basically the blood vessels haven't attached to the retina yet. Luckily Aidan's case is not severe but the blood vessels still haven't attached. The good news is at his appointment they were still progressing and hadn't stopped growing and they were still growing on track. He has another appointment tomorrow to check progress. He'll be checked every 2 weeks until they've attached or he needs laser surgery for correction.

The home health care nurse visited us on Monday (2/23) and in 3 days Aidan had gained 10 oz. He was up to 5 lbs 12 oz. The home nurse comes again either this afternoon or tomorrow and I know he's gained a lot! He has completely grown out of preemie clothes and the new born size is fitting perfectly today. I wouldn't be surprised if he is in 0-3 size next week.

He's eating great but still having reflux issues and still taking zantac. I am now supplementing with formula and he is off the vitamins and iron which is nice because they constipate him, poor little man.

We've had great support from the grandparents. Chris's parents were here for the first few days he was home and my mom and Vickie came on the 25th and are here until Saturday. It's been so nice to have some help so that I can just nap if I want. My mom even babysat to let Chris and I have a date night Friday night and the afternoon yesterday to do some shopping. We got Aidan a bottle warmer, baby bjorn carrier and the mobile that matches his room.

Chris is back to work, my mom leaves Saturday and I'll be home with the little man until the end of the month. I'll be blogging more, promise!


alicia said...

yay thanks for the update! I am so glad he is home with you! I hope his eyes continue to improve and it is so great to hear how much weight he is gaining! yay!!!!


Anonymous said...

yey! glad to hear you're doing great!

Lindsey said...

Yay! I am so excited to get an update. Aidan is thriving in your care. He is so happy to be home with Mom & Dad. Love ya tons and am thinking about you!

P.S. Thank you, so much, for your kind, supportive comments this past week. You are an awesome friend - you say just what I need to hear - and I hope we might get to meet in person one day!

Joelle said...

Congrats on doing a great job! SO glad he's improving and getting stronger every day!